Definitions specific to this policy
“Personal Information” means information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or household. Personal Information does not include publicly available information obtained from government records; deidentified or aggregated consumer information that cannot be reconstructed to identify you; any information covered under the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act or the California Financial Information Privacy Act, activities covered by the Fair Credit Reporting Act, or protected health information as defined under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.
“Sale” or “sell” means selling, renting, releasing, disclosing, disseminating, making available, transferring, or otherwise communicating orally, in writing, or by electronic or other means, a consumer’s personal information by the business to another business or a third party for monetary or other valuable consideration.
“Service Provider” means a sole proprietorship, partnership, limited liability company, corporation, association, or other legal entity that is organized or operated for the profit or financial benefit of its shareholders or other owners, that processes information on behalf of a business and to which the business discloses a consumer’s Personal Information for a business purpose pursuant to a written contract.
“Third Party” means a person or entity who is not a business that collects Personal Information from consumers, as defined in the CCPA, and to whom the business discloses a consumer’s Personal Information for a business purpose pursuant to a written contract.
The Personal Information we collect and disclose
The chart below shows the categories of Personal Information we collect; examples of the type of Personal Information in each category; all types of sources from which each category of Personal Information is collected; the business purpose(s) for which that category of Personal Information is collected; and all types of third parties with whom that category of Personal Information is shared. As this chart shows, we disclose certain Personal Information to third parties for a business purpose.
Categories of Personal Information we sell
We do not sell certain Personal Information. This does not include disclosures that are not a “sale” under the CCPA, including when:
- Consumers instruct us to disclose their Personal Information
- A consumer instructs us to interact with a third party that does not sell that information
- We use or share consumers’ Personal Information pursuant to a written contract with a service provider that is necessary to perform a business purpose, where our contract prevents the provider from using, keeping, or disclosing consumers’ Personal Information for any purpose other than the reason supplied in the contract
- Consumers’ Personal Information is transferred as part of a transaction in which the third party assumes control of all or part of our business
Personal Information on minors
We do not sell certain Personal Information from minors.
The information in the chart below covers the past 12 months
|Category of Personal Information||Examples||Type(s) of Source(s) from which This Category of Personal Information Is Collected||Business Purpose(s) for Collection||Type(s) of Third Parties with Whom This Category of Personal Information Is Sold and/or Disclosed|
|Unique identifiers||Name, signature, address, telephone, email, account name, social security number, driver’s license number, online identifier, internet protocol (IP) address||Individual at issue||Employment, contractual, maintaining or servicing accounts, providing customer service, processing or fulfilling orders and transactions, processing payments, providing advertising or marketing services, providing analytic services||
|Government ID number||Social security number, driver’s license or state identification card number||Individual at issue||Employment purposes, maintaining or servicing accounts, processing or fulfilling contracts||
|Physical description||Physical characteristics or description||Individual at issue, providers||Processing or fulfilling medical device orders||
|Financial information||Bank account number, credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information||Individual at issue||Maintaining or servicing accounts, processing orders and transactions, processing payments||
|Health/medical information||Medical information, or health insurance information||Individual at issue, providers||Fulfilling medical device orders, providing customer service, processing or fulfilling insurance claims, clinical studies, investigations, reviews, or projects||Study sites, ethics committees (or investigational review boards), experts helping us with a clinical project, and health authorities, software vendors|
|Insurance information||Insurance policy number, health insurance information||Individual at issue||Maintaining insurance services for employees, fulfilling workers’ compensation claims||
|Protected class data||Characteristics of protected classifications under California or federal law, including: race, national origin, age (40 years or older), marital status, sex, medical condition, disability, genetics, and veteran or military status||Individual at issue, providers||Fulfilling medical device orders, providing customer service, processing or fulfilling insurance claims||
|Purchase history||Commercial information, including products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies||Individual at issue||Maintaining or servicing accounts, providing customer service, processing or fulfilling orders and transactions||
|Biometric data||Imagery of the iris, retina, fingerprint, face, hand, palm, vein patterns, and voice recordings, faceprint, voiceprint, and sleep, health, or exercise data||Individual at issue||Employment, contractual, maintaining or servicing accounts, providing customer service, processing or fulfilling orders and transactions, processing payments, providing advertising or marketing services, providing analytic services||
|Internet activity||Internet or other electronic network activity information, including, but not limited to, browsing history, search history, and information regarding a consumer’s interaction with an internet web site, application, or advertisement||Individual at issue||Providing advertising or marketing services, providing analytic services||
|Geolocation data||Geolocation data||Individual at issue||Employment, contractual, maintaining or servicing accounts, providing customer service, processing or fulfilling orders and transactions, processing payments, providing advertising or marketing services, providing analytic services||
|Audio, visual, olfactory information||Audio, electronic, visual, olfactory, or similar information||Individual at issue||Providing advertising or marketing services, educational purposes||
|Employment information||Professional or employment-related information||Individual at issue||Employment purposes or fulfilling professional services contracts||
|Education information||Personally identifiable education information that is not publicly available (e.g., grades, financial aid)||Individual at issue||Employment, contractual, maintaining or servicing accounts||
|Inferences||Inferences drawn from any of the information identified in this subdivision to create a profile about a consumer reflecting the consumer’s preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes||Individual at issue||
We will not collect a category of Personal Information not listed above, or use any Personal Information collected in any of the above categories for a business purpose not listed above, without first providing you with notice.
You have the right to request certain information regarding the Personal Information we have collected about you in the preceding 12 months. You may make such a request up to twice in a 12-month span. Please note that there are circumstances in which we may not be able to comply with your request pursuant to the CCPA, including when we cannot verify your request and/or when there is a conflict with our own obligations to comply with other legal or regulatory requirements. We will notify you following submission of your request if this is the case.
Your rights under California law
Right to access
If you are a California consumer, you have the right to ask us to send you the following information up to two times in a twelve-month period:
(1) the categories of Personal Information collected about you; (2) the categories of sources providing that Personal Information; (3) the categories of third parties with whom we have shared that Personal Information; (4) the business purpose for collecting that Personal Information; (5) the specific pieces of Personal Information we collected about you; and (6) the categories of Personal Information that were disclosed for a business purpose.
Right to delete
If you are a California consumer, you have the right to ask us to delete the Personal Information about you we have collected. We may deny the request if the information is necessary to:
- Complete a transaction, including providing a requested or reasonably anticipated good or service, or fulfill a contract between the consumer and Cook
- Detect and protect against security incidents, malicious, deceptive, fraudulent or illegal activity, or take action against those responsible for such activity
- Exercise free speech or another right provided for by law
- Engage in research in the public interest adhering to applicable ethics and privacy laws where the consumer has provided informed consent
- Otherwise use the information internally in a lawful manner compatible with the context in which the consumer provided the information
Right to opt out
You have the right to request that we do not sell Personal Information that we have collected. If you exercise that right, please note that pursuant to the CCPA, we may have to subsequently inform you that you need to opt in if the sale of your Personal Information is required to complete a transaction you have initiated. If opting in is required, we will provide you with the necessary instructions.
If you use an authorized agent to submit your request to opt out, we will request that the agent provide us with proof that he, she, or it has been authorized by you to act on your behalf. The CCPA requires you to provide the authorized agent written permission to exercise your rights under the CCPA.
Global Director of Privacy
Cook Group Incorporated
P.O. Box 1608
Bloomington, Indiana 47402-1608 USA
Toll-Free in US: 800.457.4500
Within 10 days of Cook receiving your request, you will be contacted and guided through a process to verify your identity and your request.
You may designate an authorized agent to exercise your rights under the CCPA on your behalf.
Pursuant to the CCPA:
- Only a business entity or natural person registered with the California Secretary of State may act as an authorized agent.
- You must provide the authorized agent written permission to exercise your rights under the CCPA on your behalf.
- We may deny a request from an authorized agent on your behalf if the authorized agent does not submit proof that he, she, or it has been authorized by you to act on your behalf if we request such proof, as permitted by the CCPA.
- Even if you use an authorized agent to exercise your rights under the CCPA on your behalf, pursuant to the CCPA we may still require that you verify your own identity directly to us. This provision does not apply if you have provided with a power of attorney under California Probate Code sections 4000 to 4465.
Last Revised on March 16, 2020